Language, Cognition and Development Lab
Born, August 17, 1936, Barcelona, Spain. Divorced. Two children.
- Instituto Libre de Segunda Ensenanza, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 1948-1951
- University of Buenos Aires, Argentina, 1952-1958
- Oxford University, 1958-1959
- University College London, 1959-1961
- Harvard University, 1961-1964
- Quimico, University of Buenos Aires, 1957
- Licenciatura en Ciencias Quimicas, University of Buenos Aires, 1958
- B. Sc., London University, 1961
- Ph. D. in Psychology, Harvard University, 1964
- Initial American Psychological Society International Fellow
- European Society of Cognitive Psychology
- Association de Psychologie Scientifique de Langue Franaise
- Acting Fellow Rodin Remediation Academy
AWARDS AND DISTINCTIONS
- French Academy of Sciences Prize (Prix Fanny Emden), 1988
- Ipsen Foundation Prize (Neuronal Plasticity), 1995
- Docteur Honoris Causa, Universita` Libre de Bruxelles, 1997
- Honorary Foreign Member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 2001
- Member Academia Europaea, 1989
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2003;
- Fellow of the Cognitive Science Society, 2006.
- Member of the American Philisophical Society, 2009.
- Mind & Brain Prize, University and Politecnnic of Torino, 2009.
- Doctor Honoris Causa, Utrecht University, 2010
PRESENT AND PREVIOUS POSITIONS HELD
- Professor, Scuola Internazionale Superiore di Studi Avanzati, Trieste (Italy),2001
- Research Emeritus Director of CNRS
- Directeur d'Etudes l'Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales, Paris, France : 1982 2001.
- Editor in Chief, Cognition, International Journal of Cognitive Science since 1972.
- Professor,Doctoral Program in Cognitive Sciences at the University of Paris VI, EHESS and the Ecole Polytechnique 1989-2000.
- Coordinator of McDonnell Foundation Grant with Prof. Aslin
- Principal Investigator " Universal and Specific Properties of a Uniquely Human Competence - Tools to study language acquisition in early infancy: Brain and Behavioural Studies", Specific Targeted Research Projects of the European Comunity - CALACEI (2005 - 2008).
- Research fellow in Cognitive Studies, Harvard University, 1964-1965.
- Research Associate, Department of Psychology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1965-1967.
- Visiting Fellow, Centre International d'Epistemologie Genetique, University of Geneva, Switzerland, 1966(from March to September).
- Visiting Professor, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium, 1973-1975 and 1977-1978.
- Visiting Professor, Ph.D. Program in Psychology, The Graduate School and University Center of the City University of New York, 1974 (from March to June).
- Professor,Centre Universitaire de Vincennes, ParisVIII, 1969-1976.
- Visiting Researcher, Program in Cognitive Science, University of California, San Diego, 1980 (from June to September).
- Head, Module Court en Sciences Cognitives, Magistere de Biologie, Ecole Normale Superieure, Paris, 1986, 1987.
- Professor , D.E.A. de Neurosciences, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, 1987 -1989.
- Research Affiliate, Department of Psychology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1989-1990 (from July to June).
- Distinguished Lecturer, Inauguration of the Cognitive Science Program at the University of Texas, Dallas, October 1990.
- Visiting Professor, Rutgers Center for Cognitive Science,1991, 1992, 1993 (September to December)
- Visiting Professor, Universites of Madrid, Barcelona and Tenerife, April, May, 1992.
- Visiting Professor, Summer School on Language and Cognitive Science, Italy, June 1992.
- Visiting Professor, Psychology Department, University of Pennsylvania,September to December 1992.
- Visiting Professor, CUNY Graduate School , September to December 1993
- Visiting Professor, Universitat de Barcelona,July and October 1995
- Visiting Professor, Universitat de Barcelona, May and June 1996
- Visiting Professor, Universitat de Barcelona, June 1997.
- Visiting Professor, Rutgers Center for Cognitive Science, 1998 (September-December)
- Visiting Professor, University of Tenerife, December 1999.
- Member of the Comite National du C.N.R.S., Section XXVI Psychophysiologie et Psychologie, 1976-1981.
- Co-founder and Member of the Board of the Association Europeenne de Psycholinguistique since 1978.
- Member of the President's Committee on the Future ofScientific Research in France, 1980
- Member of the Editorial Committee of Construire l'Avenir Livre Blanc sur la Recherche presented to the President of France, 1980.
- Member of the Scientific Council of the Max Planck Institut fur Psycholinguistik from 1982 to 1993.
- Research Affiliate, MIT Center for Cognitive Science,1983 to present
- Member of the Conseil Scientifique de Biologie, Ecole Normale Superieure, Paris, since 1985.
- Member of the Comite National du C.N.R.S., Section XXX Psychologie et Physiologie,1987-1992.
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Committee on Cognitive Science, SISSA , Trieste, since 1988.
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Committee on the Neurosciences, Cognition and Computation, 1988/1989.
- Member of the Advisory Committee,French Ministere de la Recherche et de la Technologie, "Sciences de la Cognition", 1989-1993.
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Committee of the Fyssen Foundation ,1989-1997.
- Principal Researcher,HFSP Consortium "Processing Consequences of Contrasting Language Phonologies"(1990-1993).
- Coordinator of the European Communities Human Capital and Mobility project "Language as a Cognitive Capacity, Perception and Acquisition", (1992-1994).
- Member of the Human Frontiers Science Program Review Committee for Fellowships and Workshops in Brain
- Functions, 1991-1994.
- Principal Researcher, HFSP consortium Processing Consequences of Contrasting Language Phonologies (1995-1998).
- Member - Panel on Development of Language and Cognition, Sackler Foundation, 1999-
- Member of the Advisory Board on Brain, Mind and Behavior, McDonnell Pew Foundation for Cognitive Neuroscience, 1999-